Home Renovations

So when we bought our house 5 1/2 years ago we were first time home owners, we had ideas about what we wanted in a house, but having never owned one of our own we were just basing it off our little rental places.  We bought a 4 level split which I am mostly happy with, there are a few things that could be better but at the end of the day it's working for us.  Do I still want to move? You bet one day we will move to a place that has a nice yard, a garage and an extra bedroom/ office for our guests.   For now we need to make the best of what we have.

So our home was a bank owned home.  The previous owners had defaulted on their mortgage and the bank had foreclosed on them.  It was right up by Chandler's school, a school I really enjoyed and the neighbourhood seemed like a decent neighbourhood.  It was a on a busy street but it was a corner lot with a nice size back yard. good for dogs and kids to share.  (Two things I'll never do again, buy on a busy street (bus route street) or buy a corner lot) The inside was a home decorators nightmare.  But I could look past paint and the bones of the home was very close to what I wanted.  It had a big front room for visiting and eating, a good size kitchen, a second living area, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and undeveloped basement.  There was no garage but a garage was not a deal breaker for me at the time, now it's something that I would definitely look for.

Over the past 5 years we've done some cosmetic work to the house, we've painted all the bedrooms except the master, we've painted the front room (it was a sunflower yellow, which as a feature wall may have been ok, but the whole room was that colour it was overbearing), we even gutted and redid the main bathroom, painted the kitchen cupboards and kitchen.  We've installed new closet and bedroom doors and new fixtures on the cupboard doors.  We've built a garden in the back yard, redid the entire deck and have done some landscaping.  We are left with completing the master bedroom and the downstairs living room.



My mom came to town last week and she likes to be busy when she comes.  She's always cleaning or shopping so she told me we had better be doing something.  I'd been considering painting the downstairs living room for some time but it's hard to get into a project when you are taking care of kids. Ok it's hard for me, if I start something I like to finish it I don't like having a half painted wall that takes me 4 hours to finish one coat because I'm always starting and stopping.  So I thought hey that's something we can do while she's in town.  So mom came to town and we got busy!!

We went to Home Depot, picked out the paint, (pixel White for the walls, live jazz for the feature wall, and Grey for the trim).  We at first were just going to paint the trim, but then Hubby suggested we just get all new trim, so we did that and painted it all and he cut it and put it on!!  We also painted the ledge on the pony wall a black just to give some contrast through out the room.  It looks so much better than it did!! I'm so happy with it! I'm decorating it as the Movie Room with black and white pictures through out, and little pops of colour from plants and candles!!  It really does look super great and I am super happy with the room, now I want to do my master bedroom so badly, but got to wait until Mom is in town again!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

My Heart Belongs in.... {Friday Five}