Ice Balls

Oh Dear Pinterest, how you come up with some very interesting ideas for us to try.

Chandler came to me before Christmas, on the day we were decorating the house actually and asked if it would be possible for us to fill balloons with water and food colouring and let them freeze.  Being the loving and supportive mom that I am, I said for sure we could.

Out I ventured, into the blizzard I might add, to get to the store to buy balloons.  I also bought some other Chirstmas decorating things as well, but balloons were the main reason I went out.  With the way the snow was coming down, I may have been a bit nuts to go out, but my child wanted to be creative so I was all about supporting that.

Now filling the balloons was an interesting experiment, we couldn't just fill them from the tap because then they would just be clear balls of ice, so how did we get the balloons to fill with water from a pitcher that had been coloured with food colouring???  It was a bit of a conundrum, until I remembered how I had made a stress ball in sensory class a couple days prior. Then it was easy peasey pudding pie!!

See the trick is to put the water into a pop bottle, then blow up the balloon with air and stretch the lip of the balloon over the pop bottle and turn the pop bottle upside down to pour the water in, forcing the air up.  It's so simple that it's almost embarrassing that it took me three attempts to figure it out.

So we did up like 12 of these balloons, chucked them out on the deck to freeze and waited a couple days before we had our decorations.  These are not decorations I would put in my front yard, because, well people are jerks, and I could just see some idiot child picking it up and throwing it at my picture window, which would not make me happy, so we decided to put them along the railing of our deck, so that our backyard also got some Christmas Decorations as well.





I think they were lot's of fun and I think that they could be great for theme decorating and stuff.  I will definitely be doing this again next year!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

My Heart Belongs in.... {Friday Five}