30 day Challenge Day 4

Write about your closest friend(s)

This has been something I have been thinking about lately.  Who are my closest friends?  Who are the friends that I depend on the most and who are the friends that have shifted in my world.  If I had to choose without thinking long about it the names that pop into my head are Courtney, my sister, Michelle, Estelle, Sharon and Lexus and Alex.  I have known all these girls for different lengths of time.

Courtney and I have known each other all of her life.  We have had a love hate relationship through our childhood and teen age years. Once Courtney had finished school we moved to Saskatoon and lived together very well for years.  She is still one person who I always depend on when I need to talk something through.  She lives in Saskatoon and is going to school to become a nurse.  She is definitely someone I can always count on and she can always count on me.  She was my sister by birth but she is also a sister through choice.

Sharon is my closest friend that I have known the longest.  I have known her longer than I have known my own brother.  One of her favourite memories to tell about me is the time I brought my brother into school for show and tell.  Sharon and I have drifted apart from time to time over the years but now we are as close as ever.  Sharon also lives in Saskatoon but we talk and text regularly and we make an effort to see each other as often as possible.

Michelle and Estelle both live in Saskatchewan.  They are both parents of boys who are around Chandler's age.  That was the first common ground that we had. As we spent more and more time together we found more things in common.  Both girls are near and dear to my hearts. We spend a lot of time on the phone because we now live more than 5 hours apart, but we always make time for each other when I come back to Saskatoon.  

Lexus and I have been friends for almost 10 years. After overcoming some misconceptions that were portrayed to us by other people.  We just knew we had to talk and lay everything out on the table if we were going to be able to hang out.  Which we did and we were all the better for it.  With Lexus we have great communication and sometimes we don't always disclose everything right away, but eventually we do.  There are no secrets between us because from our development as friends we knew we had to be honest because those secrets that we may have tried to keep from one another might have been used to turn us against each other.  Lexus now lives in Vancouver so we don't see each other very often, but thank goodness for Fab Five calling!!!

Alex is from California and she was my summer sister growing up when I would go down to visit my dad.  Alex and I were pretty much joined at the hip.  We were very similar in personality and we became fast friends.  There will be times when Alex and I don't talk for months, but then we will pick up the phone have a gabfest and it's like no time has past.  Alex was definitely a huge support to me during my father's illness, she knew things were tough and she did everything she could to make things easier for me.  I don't know what I would have done without her. I would definitely have been a lost soul.

It's sometimes hard living in Alberta because I have friends here, but they aren't my close friends.  Something is still keeping us apart from creating those relationship definitions and then I miss my close friends from Saskatchewan.  I wish they would all move to Alberta, but I know that won't happen so I make do with what I have and hopefully soon I can start bridging some more distances between the friends in Alberta to develop stronger relationships with those friends, but definitely not at the expense of the friends who are near and dear.

I truly believe that Friends are the family we choose!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

My Heart Belongs in.... {Friday Five}