F*#$ing Perfect by Pink

I was out for a walk the other day, listening to my playlist when Pink's F*#$ing Perfect started playing on my headset.  I don't know why but I feel like this is the first time I have ever truly listened to this song.  I am a HUGE Pink fan, I think she is amazing and such a wonderful role model for young women, and I when I really listened to this song, this opinion was reinforced even more.

Has that ever happened for you?  You have a song that you listen to a lot and then one day you really hear the song, and the message in the song really resonates with your core beliefs?  It was such an ah-ha moment on that path as I was walking and I was like wow.

So here are some of the lyrics to the song and my thoughts on those lyrics:

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you are less than, less than f####' perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like you're nothing
You're f$$$$' perfect to me

So after the intro that details the different times Pink felt pushed down or devalued, she states that she is still here, then she implores her listeners to not feel like they are anything less than perfect.  She wants them to know that being themselves is enough and they are perfect the way they are.

I find this interesting because even with the whole body image, and I know I am trying to lose weight and be better, but that doesn't mean I hate myself right now. If something happened today I wouldn't shame myself or think I was less of a person because I couldn't become more fit, I still love myself, but that is something I have gotten from maturing, not something young people have innately.  So you have to love yourself even if there are areas you want to improve because you are perfect just as you are in that exact moment.

You're so mean when you talk about yourself, you were wrong
Change the voices in your head make them like you instead
So complicated, look happy, you'll make it
Filled with so much hatred, such a tired game

The second verse talks about the voice in our head, that voice that we let say all those mean things about us when we look in the mirror.  Wow has that voice been ignorant to me, and if that were someone outside of me, coming from another person, I would never talk to that person again, so why do I ever put up with myself talking that way about myself.  It's hard to get out of that self-loathing, it's hard to start to feel you are worthy of self-love, but the fact is you are and everyone deserves to have self-love that is all encompassing no matter what your outward appearance is.

Done looking for the critics, cause they're everywhere
They don{t like my jeans; they don't get my hair
Exchange ourselves, and we do it all the time
Why do we do that? Why do I do that
Why do I do that?

The third verse into the final chorus talks about how outside people criticize people all the time, and how we react and try to change ourselves to fit into a mould that they think we should fit into and not the one that is our authentic self.  And the questions why do we/ I do that? almost brought me to a stop yesterday because I didn't have answer.  Really, it just shouldn't matter what people think we should be because it takes away our authentic selves, but as teenagers we put so much value into what our friends think, and it's almost a mob mentality.  If all your friends like wide leg jeans but your preference is slim boot cuts, you will look out of place in the group.  And because we don't have the confidence at that age to just be who we are we listen to what everyone else says.  This isn't true for everyone but I would hazard a guess that it affects more than it doesn't.

So to all my readers, Love yourself, Like yourself, and be YOU, because you are exactly who you are supposed to be!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Free Friday {Friday Five}