What's the answer??

So ever since I can remember I have had a desire to be a school counsellor.  I went to school and got my education degree and became a teacher, which is rewarding in it's own right, but it's not where I feel most satisfied.  I know that in order to become a school guidance counsellor I will probably have to do some more schooling, which I am willing to do when I feel my family is financially stable enough to allow for me to be away from the full time workforce.  But then there's this situation I ran into last weekend.

While perusing the Internet, I decided to check on jobs in my old school divisions that I had worked for in Saskatchewan.  I wasn't seeing anything in Alberta so I thought I would see what was available in Saskatchewan.  There wasn't a whole lot, nothing more than in Alberta really, and nothing that I would be willing to apply for until I checked the Saskatoon Public School Division Website. 

"OMG!!!!", was the thought that ran through my head.

Here is the posting:
Saskatoon Public Schools
requires an:
Elementary School Counsellor - for the 2011-12 School Year


The successful candidate will have responsibility for providing direct service to Pre-K to Grade 8 students who display emotional, social, or behavioural needs that affect their academic progress, peer relationships and general school performance. As well, this individual will work closely with teachers, families/caregivers and community partners to facilitate strategies and resources to enhance personal and educational success.


Applicants must possess either a degree in social work and be eligible for membership in SASW OR qualify for a valid Saskatchewan teaching certificate and have completed recognized training in the area of counselling. Preference will be given to individuals who possess a graduate degree in educational psychology, school social work, special education, or a related field. Strong interpersonal and communication skills combined with the ability to work effectively in a team environment will also be prerequisites for the successful candidate.


Individuals will be required to use their personal vehicle, for which reimbursement of travel expenses is provided.....
 
I just about choked on my coffee as I read this posting.  This is exactly what I wanted, exactly what I want to do, in a city I love.  I enjoy Alberta, it's great, but I LOVE Saskatoon and my network of people there.  I miss them so much and I never have enough time to give to all of them when I go back, which is very disturbing.  I don't necessarily have all the qualifications but I have worked in both the education field and the field of social work so I have the experience. 
 
I just don't know why things don't come up at the right time, instead of in the right place.  I am not sure what this sign was supposed to tell me, but I know it's indicative of something.  So Blogger friends, what should I do???

Comments

  1. Unfortunately nobody knows that answer but you and Adrian. A few years ago Greg had an opportunity to work for a Saskatoon Company where he would be one week home and one week up north in SK somewhere. It was about the same pay as he was making at the time but everything was cheaper there - housing etc. I could have easily found a job there but at the end of the day, I love Calgary way too much to ever move back to SK. But that was a decision that came easily for us. So I think it was meant to be.

    However, I believe all things happen for a reason and maybe this is it. I don't know really. But what I do hope is that you guys make the best decision for you and your family.

    Good luck with that!

    xoxo
    bec.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Day in the Life Friday Five