Potty Training v.2

So I have done the whole Potty Training situation before with my eldest son.  It was truly a trial and error experience and it wasn't the most successful experience.  In fact it was full of more epic failures than successes, but eventually we hammered out all the kinks and after a bout of serious illness at 4 years old my eldest son was potty trained.

Now having a new baby that is entering the age of Potty Training, I have decided to do things a bit different.  Thankfully, my situation is a bit different so I can try different things to help me find success.  Here are my tools and tricks I have been using to see if this round of Potty Training will be smoother.

1) I have been sitting him on the potty as often as he asks.  We introduced him to the potty when he was just over a year old.  He wanted to sit on it so we got a seat and sat him up on the potty and he sometimes peed and other times he just sat there and tired to play with the toilet paper.
2) We started sitting him on the potty before and after sleep times.  The idea behind this was to get him used to the idea that he would have to use the potty before and after he went to sleep.  He has consistently peed on the potty after naps, even if his diaper is wet, so I think he's getting that one.
3) We gave him some books that are strictly for Potty Time. He's going to be a reader on the potty, and we found having specific books that he couldn't remove from the bathroom kept his interest longer.
4) He will only be in pull ups at night or through naps. I found the pull ups to a bigger hindrance to my eldest son's potty training, they were too much like diapers and he would just go in them anyways.  He did not care about the disappearing designs and they did not leave that much moisture for him to actually be concerned with being wet.
5) As often as we can we will let him run around naked or in underpants(training pants). As it is now he won't always lay down to have his diaper put on I often have to make the diaper then let him stand in them so he can pull them up.  I just find that being naked or in underpants is more successful in the training, or so I have heard, and when we put my eldest in training pants his training went quicker.  It could be an age thing, but I don't know, I think it may have been a training success.
6) We will leave the potty out where he can access it readily. This was one of the most successful tools I used the first time, by having the potty out where they can easily access it, developed a sense of independence that allowed them to be able to go on the potty without always having to ask an adult for help.
7) Once he starts to ask to use the potty and goes we will let him build up stickers to a treat.  This way he can see how well he is doing and we won't be giving him candy or a snack every time.

I think that's all I have for now.  I know there are more things but I can't think of them right now.  I am hoping that within the next 6 months little man is potty trained and I can say "GOODBYE Diapers!!!"

Comments

  1. I also find that pull ups suck and that as far as finley is concerned she sees them just as diapers. we have very little success with her in a pullup. She only uses a pull up when sleeping at night. she wears panties all other times no exceptions unless she goes naked.

    We also keep the potty where she can see it and because of the layout of our house and childproofing for penelope this makes the most sense for us. we lug it around a lot but it makes a huge difference considering they don't have much control yet.

    We used stickers at first to get her to sit on the potty and then for successes. After a week of constant success she didn't care about stickers anymore she was just so darn proud of going in the potty.

    We are day 5 in a row without a single accident so she will get a treat after day 7 to signal success.

    Leigham will be pt in no time! Great work Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

My Heart Belongs in.... {Friday Five}