Menu Monday: Making Shepherds Pie

In October I had the brilliant idea to put together a meal exchange group.  The idea was that we could all make meals that we can freeze and share them with others.  Initially, I had made the group and stated that if ten people participated then you made 10 meals, but that can be really difficult for someone working a full time job.  So I made it a get what you give meal exchange group.  That being said if you brought in 6 meals you would get six separate meals  from 6 other people, if you brought in 10 you got all ten.  It worked out really well.  I got some soups, a lasagna and I made shepherd's pie for everyone.

It was the easy shepherds pie, not the traditional shepherds pie.  I used ground beef, corn and potatoes and cheese.

I pan scrambled the ground beef with onions and garlic and added in an onion soup mix seasoning.  ( I was going to use the clubhouse seasoning packages but that's basically all it is so the onion soup mix was cheaper) Once all the meat was scrambled we put the meat into aluminum foil containers, I put in 3 cups of meat into each container.

Then we added two cups of corn ( I use corn because I like it best, but you could use any frozen or canned vegetable that you like) *side note: when I make this as a regular meal in my home, I use one can of corn and one can of creamed corn*

Finally we added the mashed potatoes.  I don't have a measurement for how much potatoes each meal got but we put enough potatoes on to cover the meal, I went through a bag and half of potatoes, I'm pretty sure the one bag was a 10 lb bag.

Then we sprinkled the top with a little shredded marble cheese.  I don't always do this, but I felt it needed it this time.

The last part was to wrap and freeze all the meals.  And wait for the exchanging to begin!! It was a good time!! I look forward to doing it again possibly in the new year!!

Recipe:
1tbsp of butter
1 lb of hamburger
1 can of corn
*1 Can of creamed corn (optional)
5-7 large potatoes mashed.
1 small onion (chopped)
1clove of garlic (minced or pressed)
1 package of onion soup mix
*1 cup of shredded cheese

1) In a large pan melt butter add in chopped onion and garlic blanche the onions
2) add in hamburger and onion soup mix, stirring and scrambling meat until it is brown.
3) Put meat into 9X13 pan so that it covers the bottom of the pan.
4) open can of corn and creamed corn if you choose, and cover the meat with the corn.
5) Peel and boil the potatoes, drain the potatoes and mash them in the pot.  You can add a little splash of milk to help mash the potatoes further. Once potatoes are mashed, spread the potatoes over the corn in the pan.  Cover fully.
6)* optional, sprinkle shredded cheese over the potatoes.
If you are cooking this right away, I put it into the oven for 30 minutes at 350 to heat it up. If you are cooking from frozen put in oven at 350 for 90 minutes, if it's thawed you can do 45-60 mins at 350.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Day in the Life Friday Five