How did I meet....Jay

From the time I was 8, I had been making yearly trips to California to visit my father.  The first few trips were family trips where we drove down to California and I stayed with my dad for a few days.  My siblings and mom would stay with us too, except for one or two days where I would have my father to myself.  When I turned 11 I went to the states for the first time on my own.  It was an adventure. I then continued going to the states until I was 17.  


On my last trip to the States in my teen years I was a brat. I was spoiled and very self-centered.  I say this with hind sight, at the time I didn't think there was anything wrong with me or my behaviour.  I wanted to spend all my time with my friends and I did not want to spend a weekend away with my father in Lake Tahoe.  (It's ironic now, again hind sight, as I could think of no other place on earth that I would like to be)  I complained and argued with my dad, what did I care about going to a wedding of his friend Darlene.  I didn't know Darlene, so I saw no reason why I should be forced to go, I could stay with my friends and see him when he got back.  But my father told me I was going and there would be no arguing.


The day before the trip I made my dad take me to a book store so he could buy me some books.  And yes I did demand this of my father and he complied.  I may have been a brat but most of the time he let me get away with it.  I picked out two books and a couple cds for the drive there.  


We left really early in the morning to make it up for the day before the reception.  I grumbled and pouted in the entire drive, I would not speak with my father, and kept my nose in the books I had bought with my earphones in.  I also fell asleep while we drove so as not to have to talk to him, because I was upset that he was making me spend my weekend in some "stupid place".  


Upon arriving in Tahoe, I was surprised it was a beautiful place.  I was enthralled with the beauty of the place, but I was not going to tell my father that he would have been gloating about being right.  I looked around and could only gasp at the splendor.  I knew I had fallen in love.  It was the first place I had ever traveled to that felt like home.


I was convinced that I would be the only young person at this wedding.  Dave and Darlene were an older couple, older than me, but not ancient or anything.  They didn't have any children and my dad couldn't tell me if there would be any kids my age there.  This made this weekend seem worse, but at least the location was something to enjoy.


As we went to decorate the reception hall, Dad began introducing me to everyone.  He introduced me to Dave and Darlene, Darlene's mom, Dave's sister and brother in law and their son.  This turned out to be Jay.   


Jay and I became friends.  We were the only young people at the wedding.  There may have been more young people but Jay is the only one I remember.  (Jeni if you read this.... stop now, or just remember I am writing this as a sixteen year old memory and that you are married to him now).  Jay was a super cute (I am not going to build up his ego :P) guy.  I sat with him at supper, and we held hands under the table while my father took a picture of us.  We also kissed in the hot tub and got yelled at by my father.  It was so embarrassing. 


We continued to talk that summer but then I went back home and we wrote a couple letters then things just dropped off.  I always had a soft spot for Jay, and was happy to hear about him as the years passed.  Jay is now married to Jeni and they have the cutest little boy.  This will lead into how I met Jeni.


Jay and I met up again a few years ago.  We reconnected and have cemented our friendship.  He's a great friend!!!  Thanks Jay for being a great friend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Full time teaching contract