J E L L dOugh

So today is the start of my 30 days of projects challenge. I haven't worked out all the details yet, but I have decided to make use of my Pinning on Pinterest and actually make some of the interesting Pins they have on that site.


I have a tendency to like things on the Internet and create bookmarks with the intention of going back to them in good time, but then things happen and life gets in the way so we don't do them and they get forgotten, but not this time, this time I am doing this for 30 days. Everyday I will do a new pin project and see how it turns out. They can be anything from recipes to crafts, to things for the kids, to even taking a tutorial and trying it out for myself. I need something to get me active and this seems like a great place to start.

So today I made play dough for my son using Jello. Strawberry Jello to be exact. It smelt wonderfully and it turned out pretty great as well!! It makes a fair amount so I am thinking I will try to Kool-Aid Play dough recipe next to see which turns out better and the go from there, but it was definitely worth trying.

Here is the link to the website I used for the recipe. Jello Dough go there for the instructions.

Here are some pictures of the process of making the Play Dough.

•white flour – 1 cup
•salt – 2 tbsp
•cream of tartar – 2 tbsp
•cooking oil – 2 tbsp
•warm water – 1 cup
•Jello – 1 3oz pack

So here are two pictures of the ingredients in the bowl. One with just the dry ingredients and the other shows the ingredients with the water added. The Jello is on the bottom.

The recipe asks that you mix all the ingredients together in a bowl first. Now I don't know the reasoning behind this but I would suggest just mixing them in the pot first, then adding the pot to a low heat. Saves on dishes and it's hard to scrap all the ingredients out of the bowl, this way you are only using one dish instead of two.

Then you are to cook the play dough in a pot on low heat until it forms a ball. This was a little confusing to me, as I haven't made play dough in a very long time.  
 But I noticed that the dough began to get areas that were turning more red and some areas were more pink. The pink areas (like the pink in the picture above) were still very sticky and didn't feel like play dough but the red areas did feel like play dough and so I decided to continue heating the dough until it was a uniform colour. You have to continuously stir as jello play dough burns easily.

After you take the ball out of the pot and cool it on wax paper. Once cool knead with flour and you are ready to play. It smells great and was easy to make. You can add other things to it as well like glitter and more food colouring to change the colour. Lot's of fun!!! Can't wait to try it again. Want to do this for gifts for Lil Man's Birthday Party for his friends that come!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Day in the Life Friday Five