My new Deck

Since we've moved into our home nine years ago we've known that we needed to replace the deck and fence eventually, but it's a big cost and babies, weddings and travelling always seemed to take precedent, until this year, this year was the year of the Deck!

Last year due to a ferocious wind storm we were able to use our house insurance to replace our deck and sheds that were damaged in the storm, but the deck still stood (I have no idea how!!) so we had to wait until we could replace the deck.

The beginning of the deck tear down

I really, REALLY wanted to go to California with my boys this summer but being a home owner means we have responsibilities that we must take care of and our deck was not going to last another winter without injuring someone. 

So we cut our vacation to the states short, we still had a good time and then we came back home and tore out our old deck. 
We took the old addition to the deck off and reframed and new section.

That was the easiest part of the whole job, but what we saw when we tore the deck out was terrifying.  I used to sit on that deck, and let my kids play on it and it was barely being held up so I am so glad we made this decision this year. 


Adding on to the deck made tons of sense and so we were able to add three more feet toour deckand it's secure and won't fall apart!


There was a lot of talk about what we would do, and my choices for design won out, even though it meant more work! I also go a shade/ privacy wall built on the deck so we would have some shade in our south facing back yard.

The final touches were my twinkle lights! They are solar powered and at night it's lovely to sit with those being the only lights on in the backyard! I'm so in love with my new deck and it just makes my backyard that much more enjoyable!!


Home renovations can be stressful, but when they are done they are so worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Day in the Life Friday Five