Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

A couple of years ago, for Christmas, Chandler got a set of books from his Aunty Trinity.  I have been buying Chandler books for years because I love to read and I wanted him to love to read as well.  He read the Bones series, which is a graphic novel and he got into the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series as well, but he was never the reader that I was.  For those of you that don't know I will pretty much read anything.  I love to read.  Well this series that Chandler received was the first three books of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.  


He began to read the series on the way home from California after my father had passed away.  I also read them as well they seemed like a fun story to read.  Chandler loved the series and constantly wanted me to buy the next book and the next book.  Both Chandler and I were looking forward to the movie after we found out that they were making a movie based on the book.  It is such a good series, if you have ever been intrigued by the Greek Gods or read the story the Immortal by Christopher Pike you will enjoy this series.


However, I am not sure if Chris Columbus read the book before he directed the movie.  I was so disappointed with the movie, the visual effects were great but the changes he opted to make did not help the story out in any way.  Some of the more glaring and disappointing changes created a situation where it will be very difficult to continue making movies based on this series.  He aged Percy up to 16 or 17, when in the story he is 11.  There was no need to do this, but he did it and it took away from the story.  He changed the reason why Zeus, Hades and Poseidon don't have children.  He completely cut out Kronos from the movie and made Hades the antagonist.  He added in a Hydra and a new location, and took out other locations.  He cut out Ares and so many other events and things that would have made the movie fantastic and added in an unnecessary love story.  The books are geared towards boys and girls, but mostly boys aged 9 to 14.  So why wouldn't you try to keep the characters around that age so the characters can grow up with their readers, much like they did in Harry Potter.


I know and understand that because of time constraints you can't keep everything and sometimes there is going to be some creative licensing to change the movies, but some of the core changes that were made were highly disappointing.  Even more so when the promotions kept comparing this movie to the Harry Potter series because of the director.  I am so disappointed because the books are SO MUCH better, I wish I could be involved with making these movies because I would do a fantastic job I just know it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favourites!! Friday Five Link Up

40th Birthday Bucket List

Day in the Life Friday Five